Re: Changing historic documents

Hello *,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 08:09:59AM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> Florian Ernst <florian@uni-hd.de> schrieb am 16.10.05 23:46:21:
> > Do we fix typos and the like in those "historical documents", i.e. in
> > transcripts and individual mails?
>
> Yes we do. See Matt's mail [...]

Oops, very bad google-fu on my part, thanks for the pointer.

> Nevertheless I agree that it's not useful to change IRC logs. It's often
> very hard to find a single line in such documents which doesn't contain
> at least five typos :-)

Putting this aside, I still get a bad feeling about correcting those
docs. Especially when thinking about debate transcripts the typing /
grammar skills / effort of a participant (or rather the lack thereof)
might convey a certain message to some readers, which we'd effectively
destroy by fixing these mistakes, thus belatedly altering the course
of the debate.
Of course, I'd personally welcome to have well-formed and neatly typed
docs all over the place, but I find it pretty hard to draw a line
between e.g. a) obvious typo and b) person didn't know any better...

Cheers,
Flo