Re: Invalid HTML-Tags

Mohammed Adnène Trojette <adn@diwi.org> (07/10/2005):
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005, Jutta Wrage wrote:
> > Excluding here 12 pages and there 20 pages and so on would mean, I
> > have to delete the language completely to get not in trouble. looking
> > on each file, for the language, I am currently in means stopping
> > after each :wN and :wn. That makes things times slower and I will be
> > able to do 20 files, where I can do 60 or more, if I do not care the
> > languages.
>
> I appreciate very much your work of converting all the pages into HTML
> strict, but if I shall make a suggestion: if I were you, I would only
> deal with the English pages and let the l10n teams do their work (you
> can of course work on you native language(s)). It will reduce the load
> on your shoulders and avoid misunderstandings/bad decisions that will
> make it impossible for l10n teams to have perfectly localised webpages
> (quotes and other typographic rules for example).

> > Normally all translators only should replace the content
> > but not the tags. And iff there are errorness usages, this should be
> > corrected in the main manguage, too - not only in one language.

l10n is even much more than what Adnene said. Here are a few examples:
- add language-specific part. www.debian.org/support is a good example
  with additional links to French websites about Debian, that are of no
  interest for non-french speaking users.
- if an external webpage exists in different languages without real
  content-negotiation support, the link to this webpage must be
  localized (for example, en.wikipedia.org/english_article must be
  changed to fr.wikipedia.org/french_article, if this article is good)
- examples must be adapted. A sentence such as "for example, if you
  start the German translation project, please create the webwml/german
  directory" must be translated in french by "for example, if you
  start the French translation project, please create the webwml/french
  directory".
- ...

It means that links, tags, ... may differ from the original.

I fully agree with Adnene that it may be better for you and for us to
let the l10n teams help you converting these pages to HTML strict.

Cheers,

--
Thomas Huriaux