Re: phonetic transcription of debian?

Am Freitag, 25.03.05 um 16:43 Uhr schrieb Jens Seidel:

Correct, he refers to the second character of dEbian.
(Since the German E is pronounced similar to A in mAde, fAde, I was not
confused.)

That is not fully correct. A in "made" is "ei" in phonemes and not "e" like in Freddie (we would pronounce that like english speakers do) or Debbie, Debra, or Deborah. Beside the "." I do not see anything that could be wrong. And I just believe that those writing up the pronunciation just know, how that Ian is pronounced. If the phonemes are wrong, all in my dicts must be wrong, too. ;-) In German Language most people pronounce Debian wrong (just as it would be pronounced as a german word) but it should be like it was written "Debien" with emphasized "De".

Maybe, there is a difference between oxford english and american english, I do not know. But for me the pronunciation on the page sounds reasonable.

greetings

Jutta