Re: Please, would specify in the global packages list, from which group each package is related.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:34:09AM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Dienstag, 18.01.05 um 00:46 Uhr schrieb David Mandelberg:
> >Do you mean something like <http://packages.debian.org/stable/devel/>?
>
> I think his problem is knowing, if the package is in devel.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/allpackages should list the section,
> maybe.

Hmm, what would that serve you?

> But when looking at that page I found another issue: The links to the
> packages are gone there. Seems, there is not longer shown the html page
> but the text list. The server delivers allpackages.de.txt instead of
> allpagages.de.html for me. Server misconfiguration?

What a Accept header is you browser sending? Mine sends
Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5

which works perfectly well.

> Another idea: How about linking to a page, where users get information
> on searching locally on the disk for a package? I am sure that many
> people do not know about apt-cache, apt-file and other useful utilities.

Actually I was already pondering to provide some more documentation
for packages.debian.org but never actually got around to make that.
One should investigate the manuals first (like Debian reference) if
one can perhaps reduce this particular one to a link to existing text.
Patches welcome :)

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>