Re: Examples Debian WWW with css

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 02:56:33AM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:
[...]
> My question again: Is it accaptable for you, what I have schown on the
> examples?
>
> One of the examples has the same look as current pages on graphical
> browsers, but will have _no_ lists in _one_ line for test browsers,
> which is assumed.

The main navbar is currently not a list, why did you turn it into <ul>?
If you keep it as is, it is certainly possible to have layout unmodified
for text browsers.

[...]
> In the cvs tree, I have found things about xhtml. That makes me ask:
> How will the move work, as <br> is valid in HTML transitional and
> strict but not in xhtml. So all tags without an endtag have to be
> replaced at once, when moving to xhtml. In addition the page delivery
> has not to be text/html only. Beside that IE has problems with correct
> mime type for xhtml (which I do not carte much) that gives a lot of
> problems. Is moving to xhtml insead of html strict such an advantage,
> that debian people do not care these problems? xhtml does not make a
> differenc to css usage as far as I know, though.

Your last sentence is the key point; XHTML has nothing to do with the
subject of this thread, so do not discuss this issue here and let us
focus on CSS.

HTML pages are generated from templates and some scripts, as described
in http://www.debian.org/devel/website/
Modifying the generated HTML pages to replace tables by CSS is quite
trivial, but as you notice the main problem is to have these changes
accepted.  If you have access to different browsers, you may put
screenshots online to show that rendering is identical.

Martin Schulze had a valid argument, some scripts are parsing HTML
or source files.  It is likely that they won't notice the move to CSS,
and I will check later that this is indeed the case.

Denis