Re: Examples Debian WWW with css

Am Samstag, 20.11.04 um 15:04 Uhr schrieb Denis Barbier:

We could provide a language selection form to switch between available
translated pages, similar to mirror selection.

That is one of my ideas, to. But that needs a script for the form. Not really a problem, but I do not want to make work on that, if css is unaccaptable.

My question again: Is it accaptable for you, what I have schown on the examples?

One of the examples has the same look as current pages on graphical browsers, but will have _no_ lists in _one_ line for test browsers, which is assumed.

Removing tables where they are used for layout purposes makes code cleaner and cannot break screeen readers or text browsers. And that increases accesibility a lot.

CSS moves all layout to one CSS file, while the code (HTML or XHMTL) is in the other files or templates. That will not make the cvs tree much smaller, but the pages themselves.

If CSS is used, it is not necessary to have another look and feel for the pages. Only a few old browsers will get the same text pages as lynx, w3m and others get.

If you like my examples, I may try to make patches and see, how CSS can be introduced without breaking things.

All files are in http://www. witch.westfalen.de/debian/

Files:
support (the original pages as by debian.org delivered

index.html - A full css version of my dict index page in debian look HTML4.01 strict

http://www.witch.westfalen.de/debian/support-debian.html - Debian support page, where only the header is changed. Using the same css as index.html but still HTML 4 transitional as the page I got from debian.org. It looks like the debian pages, but the header si fully css without tables. code reduction per page is 800k.

http://www.witch.westfalen.de/debian/support-debian2-2.html - is an example with removed gifs in the navigation bar and put a blang one to css. This version also has the language list as list for lynx (I did not test this version with all browsers yet and I am not lucky with my current results. but it has 1.9 k less code but the original page.

other files:
support-debian2.html - html4.01 strict, 1.2k saved
support-debian3.html - server selection and language list fully removed, 4.8k saved (only built to see, how much boths parts are support-debian2-1.html same as 2-2 but the languages are still in one line for text browsers.

Annotatation:
In the cvs tree, I have found things about xhtml. That makes me ask: How will the move work, as <br> is valid in HTML transitional and strict but not in xhtml. So all tags without an endtag have to be replaced at once, when moving to xhtml. In addition the page delivery has not to be text/html only. Beside that IE has problems with correct mime type for xhtml (which I do not carte much) that gives a lot of problems. Is moving to xhtml insead of html strict such an advantage, that debian people do not care these problems? xhtml does not make a differenc to css usage as far as I know, though.

greetings

Jutta

--
http://www.witch.westfalen.de