News from packages.debian.org

Hi all.

Today I merged a big chunk of changes from my experimental branch
of packages.debian.org source to the MAIN branch from that the
web pages are actually generated.

This includes:
 - Switch to a clean HTML 4 strict output with much less tables, using
   CSS for layout instead (many thanks to Jutta Wrage for her work on
   this).
 - gettext-Strings will be only evaluated once and are stored in
   a cache. Since this cache resides in a file I can generate it
   on a remote machine. This finally brings usable gettext support
   for packages.d.o. This doesn't include the CGIs, yet.
   @TRANSLATORS: You are invited to get the .pot files from
   http://cvs.infodrom.org/packages.debian.org/po/?cvsroot=debian.de
   and send me a translation.
 - RSS feed for newpkg (although I haven't linked this yet, will be
   fixed in the next 24 hours)
   For more discussion see the related bug report (#284987)
 - Big code restructuring that hopefully makes the scripts a little
   more maintainable (no guarantee on that).
 - Various small bug fixes (e.g. should close #275279)

Please report any unusual behavior of packages.d.o during the next
days (of course you should always do this, but in the next days I actually
expect more errors and glitches).

The next big task I will tackle is a usable search backend. The current
grep-one will suck too much if I want to re-introduce boolean
expressions in the search.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>