RE: Ask Jeeves Crawler access to Debian

On 2004-06-18 18:01:47 +0100 Kaushal Kurapati <KKurapati@askjeeves.com> wrote:

[...] So people come to our site and look for bugs in
debian say, then we should be able to direct people to your site
content;

You could already do this without crawling bugs.debian.org if you wanted, but linking to Debian package bug pages for appropriate searches. So, if someone searches for "bugs in debian's glibc", you offer a link to http://bugs.debian.org/glibc

this broadens your reach effectively, since people could be
searching on search engines right now and not finding anything from your
site.

I suspect you already have all the interesting content from bugs.debian.org by indexing lists.debian.org.

If people are searching Ask Jeeves for debian bug content not on search engines, they probably have more fundamental problems than the content being unindexed. ;-)

Of course as you said, they can come to your site and look for
stuff, but why shut out the broader option of reaching your site via
search engines.

Because it seems a lot of pain for little gain, IMO.

I note that you ignored the comments about inability to use Ask Jeeves.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.