Re: L10N Problem with website!

Hello,

> but my point was that if one purchases a OS in a particular language
> than the default language (for browser) will be that of the OS,

Yes, of course. It's sensible. But if you don't like the language, all
you have to do is to change it. I have machine with both Norwegian and
English OSes, but I have all of them set to request Swedish pages (and
several other languages I understand).

Doing this selection in the browser rather than on the web site serves
several purposes:

 1. It is universal, you don't need to set up each web site specifically.
 2. It is specific, you can have different browsers set up differently.
 3. It is easy, language selection via requested languages is a
    built-in feature in Apache, doing it in another way would require
    scripting and cookies.

> I look at the language setting in the browser and it is very nice to
> see where different people come from and if everybody or many people
> changed the language setting in their browser this info would be more
> innacurate than it currently is

You seem to be confusing languages and countries. That's quite common,
but it's still wrong.

> rather than storing that choice as a constant it defaults back by
> looking at your browser setting which is kind of annoying

It can be, at first, but it is better than all other solutions. There's
a fourth point to the list above that it adds: You can select *several*
languages in you "wanted list". I have mine set up to request
sv,nb,no,da,nn,en,de (Swedish, Norwegian bokmål, general Norwegian,
Danish, Norwegian nynorsk, English, German, in that order). This means
that when a page is not available in my preferred language it falls
back to another one. If I can't read that, I may manually select the
English version, but that doesn't mean I want all pages in English.

> because not everybody is a web programmer or knows how the site gets
> this data.

That's exactly why we have a help page linked from every page on the
site which is available in at least two languages. If you have any
ideas on how to improve it, feel free to suggest them.

--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/

  I do not read or respond to mail with HTML attachments.