Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by tvainika: webwml finnish/devel/index.wml french/devel/in ...

* Tommi Vainikainen <thv+debian@iki.fi> [2003-11-11 12:47]:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, alfie@ist.org wrote:
>>  Thanks, but NO!!!  This is a change that should be incorporated
>> translations and not only bumped away.  Who is tvainika, I hope s/he
>> is subscribed to d-www, otherwise the translation-coordinator for
>> the corresponding language team should forward this message.
>
> I did that commit.  It tried to check those translations and these
> were already using quotes different from those accent characters.

 Then you definitely fumbled at that attempt because german still used
some of those wrong quotes.

>>  This is no change that affects only the english version at all.
>
> IMHO I did count original change as english dependant style fix that
> should not impact translations,

 Quoting changes _do_ impact translations, because quoting is a language
specific thing. Different languages quote differently.

> because it is language dependant what quote characters are used.

 Like you said yourself. So this change might remind the translators to
recheck their versions of the file, which is a good thing and often
needed!

> Of course because of some restrictions in charsets, it is not always
> possible to use correct quote characters...

 And there you go -- you assumed that the quoting characters where
"correct" for some of the translations. I beg you to please not do this
again because it is prone to failures which raise big headaches for
others.

 So long,
Alfie
--
() | Ich bin anders, nur soviel anders wie der Himmel, wie das Meer am Horizont.
/\ | Oder anders, vielleicht anders - was heisst schon anders?