Re: status update about packages.debian.org

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 02:46:19PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:06:13PM +0200, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > - The script needs much memory (200 to 300 MB for the
> >   unstable distribution) and is slow (but my computer has only 256 MB
> >   RAM, I can not really speak for swapless execution)
> >   Should I try to optimize it mainly for speed or for memory?
>
> How long does it take to run?

During the last two days I tweaked it somewhat. It now needs ten
minutes on my Athlon 900 (512 MB RAM) for 'stable'. But it needs
up to 400 - 500 MB RAM during the run. (ca. 40-50% of the execution
time goes into whatever perl makes after my last command, I assume
it's calling desctructors and garbage collecting. If anyone knows a
trick to free the memory more "rude", I will happy to hear it ;)

I can not say how much it scales for the unstable distribution with
all the translations, because it needs approx. 600 MB RAM and so most
of the time goes to swapping on my comp. (haven't had time to run it
completly yet, but I estimate two to three hours for unstable on my comp atm)

I know that there is much redundant data, so I will try to reduce the
memory requirements but this will surely result in a (hopefully small)
speed penalty.

Gruesse,
--
*** Frank Lichtenheld <frank@lichtenheld.de> ***