Re: Package search improvements

Hullo all...
Pewnego dnia (Wednesday 23 of April 2003 10:20), niejak(i/a) Josip Rodin
wystukał/a na klawiaturze:
JR>Making packages.d.o backend first parse all Packages files from all
JR>architectures, sort -u the list, and then go through the data ordering it
JR>per package, would seem to do the trick. Of course it would also track
JR>Architecture fields and pass them as parameters to download.pl.
Sure, but have You considered the version conflicts? Package for i386 will
surely be in other version than for e.g. sparc...
And if we want not to generate those pages on demand AND not have single pages
for all ports, then we could just move some work to download.pl... --> read
below
JR>(Heck, even download.pl could be eliminated, it's not like anyone changes
JR>the selected mirrors often (they're selected for the very purpose of being
JR>reliable and not necessary to change).)
I think the idea of download.pl right now just wastes the CPU...
But if we would send download.pl additional $arch parameter and make
download.pl just show which version is the most actual (and also maybe show
all that depend/suggest/etc. stuff) it would be working fine. As far as I can
see it, we could also get rid of multiple pages of the same packages for the
same port, just stabe/testing/unstable/(exp.) versions - just use old good
$type.
I see it that way.
Someone searches for a package.... and gets a list. Then he opens a page, one
for all ports, generated once in 24h describing the package and if he wants
to get the stuff, he just makes choice what port and what version and goes to
download.pl.
Waiting for comments
Pozdrawiam
--
Marek 'TamCaP' Łaska
Żyć jest bardzo niezdrowo. Kto żyje ten umiera. - Stanisław Jerzy Lec