Re: Package search improvements

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:51:00AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > > Aren't the 'packages' pages already dynamically created???
> >
> > Not really. With "dynamically created" I mean "on request". The
> > package pages are actually static pages created by a script running
> > as cronjob.
>
> If you define 'cleanest' with 'the most k-rad k-cool method everyone else
> uses, regardless of actual purpose', sure. I wouldn't consider constantly
> wasting CPU cycles on stuff that only changes once every 24 hours
> particularly clean myself...

Hmm, you've a point here. It's disk space against cpu usage. Clearly
the first is much cheaper. That's why I wrote a mail one week (or so) ago
asking for input on this since I would really help here because it is
a long outstanding problem. And I presented the "dynamic"
version because of this sentence in the website/todo:
"Anyone got ideas on doing this without replicating the entire page
structure for each port?"
This leads at least to two possible solutions: 2.) (one page per
package per distrib but for all archs) or 3.) (create the pages
dynamically). And what one finds more "clean" of them both is obviously
a question of his definition of "clean" which seems to be differ
between us both. For me "clean" means: It's good structured, easily
to extend and maintain.

The only question I have: When I want to help on this, in which
direction should I go so that when I invested some time in it I will
not just hear: "Nice what you've done, but completly useless for us"

Programming is a hobby for me, not a religion. You can convince
me when you have good arguments (and you normally have).

Grüße,
	Frank

--
*** Frank Lichtenheld <frank@lichtenheld.de> ***