Re: Translation of Debian Hompage to Arabic

Hi,

From: Ayman Negm <negm@tu-harburg.de>
Subject: Re: Translation of Debian Hompage to Arabic
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 22:26:43 +0100

> I did as it descriped in the README but nothing changed :-(

I am afraid that the Pics script (and Gimp 1.2) doesn't support
multibyte encodings such as UTF-8.  This is why east Asian Pics
are made by hand.  (Since east Asian languages need several
thousands of characters, they must be multibyte.)  Well, I am a
Japanese speaker and I made the Japanese Pics by using Gimp-1.3
with a semi-automatic Script-fu script.

Can you try ISO-8859-6, a singlebyte Arab encoding?  However,
I don't think it supports word-top, word-bottom, word-intermediate,
and independent forms of glyphs.  Otherwise I think you have to
make Pics manually.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/