Re: lanuage installation in mozilla

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 12:59:17PM +1100, Sam Johnston wrote:
> browsing d.o in mozilla causes dialog boxes to appear on my mozilla 1.3a
> on win32 system requesting that additional (asian) languages be
> installed.
>
> could this not be achieved with images rather than what I assume is
> unicode? is there another workaround? or is this minor inconvenience
> considered a fair trade for internationalisation? is browser negotiation
> not effective?

We're not doing illegal or even questionable -- we're simply using Unicode
entities to display a few letters. Different browsers react differently to
this; some sanely, some less sanely.

I've heard other browsers such as some versions of English IEs don't even
bother asking to get the right Unicode fonts when they encounter non-Latin1
characters, they just show little squares.

IOW, please file a bug against the browser for having a bug in the design.
The page declares itself Latin1; a handful of characters aren't worth
bothering the user with a whole new dialog box.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.