Re: lanuage installation in mozilla

Hi,

From: Sam Johnston <samj@debian.org>
Subject: lanuage installation in mozilla
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 12:59:17 +1100

> browsing d.o in mozilla causes dialog boxes to appear on my mozilla 1.3a
> on win32 system requesting that additional (asian) languages be installed.
>
> could this not be achieved with images rather than what I assume is
> unicode? is there another workaround? or is this minor inconvenience
> considered a fair trade for internationalisation? is browser negotiation
> not effective?

IMHO, it is a bug of mozilla 1.3a on win32 that it doesn't support asian
languages by the default installation.  It requires additional (and maybe
too difficult for novice users) procedures to asian people.  You should
be annoyed to see a dialog box which requests you to install Latin Alphabet
support to read English pages, shouldn't you?

Though addition of images may help people who don't have fonts for
these languages, text version is needed because Debian webpages can
be browsed by text browsers such as lynx and w3m.

When content-negotiation will be perfectly popular, the language list
might be omitted.  However, personally I like the list because it
advertises how Debian is an internationalized organization.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/