Re: state of the cdrom mirrors report

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:34:50AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Listing http:// links when only ftp:// ones are verified.
>
> Well as I see it, we have three choices:
>
> 1. Leave things as they are, with dozens of known to be broken ftp and
>    http links.
> 2. At least make sure all the ftp links are valid, and eliminate many of
>    the probably broken http links, which my script already dones.
> 3. Someone who likes to grovel around in html do even more work.

You left out:

4. Get someone to send email to mirror maintainers of the sites that still
have 2.2 explaining to them where to get up to date images (e.g. with a few
example sites listed if they want to slurp them off someplace else, and as
an added bonus, explain how to use jigdo-file and jigdo-mirror).

> I don't really see the benefit of holding off on 2 in hope that someone
> will eventually do 3; they're more liable to do so if the program is
> already in place and working for ftp. And I certianly don't see the
> benefit of leaving things in the unusable state they are when a much
> improved though admittedly not perfect list is already available.

I say if we're going to bother with it at all, let's fix the mirrors instead
of just fixing the list; having the list broken for a little more time is
acceptable if the end result is going to be having the majority of them
fixed, and the bad ones pruned.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.