Re: Please help me, I am receiving large amounts of spam as a result of my posting.

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 04:10:08PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> I'd bet that *most* of the spam that you receive for posting to a
> list is get through the news gate, /not/ through our very own
> webarchive.

I don't think so. This used to be the case in the 90s, but these days
web crawlers seem to be preferred.

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 06:27:19PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Conversely, don't we cave in to [the spammers] by disabling
> features?

That's why I keep suggesting the @ -> @ thing - it's a first step
and significantly reduces the amount of spam, without any bad
side-effects.

Another thing which I've seen with some online archives is a "mail
this person" button. The CGI behind it does a HTTP redirect to a
"mailto:"; link, I think - works very well!

The next step after that would be to /kindly/ ask other WWW archives
of Debian lists to do something similar. Many won't react, but every
little helps.

> It definitely seems wiser in the long run to fight spam by directly
> fighting spammers, spamhausen etc, and not by eliminating everything
> that may be abused...

IMHO we should fight spam on every available front - and the changes
I'm suggesting don't impair the usefulness of the online archive.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _