Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by kubota: webwml/english/News/weekly/2002/33 index.wml

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 05:57:05AM +0100, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> Tomohiro KUBOTA:
>
> > If copypage.pl is used when conversion from *.wml to *.html , it is
> > just opposite to my intension.
>
> copypage.pl is used to initiate the translation of a page. When it is
> run, the English page is copied over to your translation, adding a
> translation-check header, creating any required directories and placing
> Makefile. And now it will also recode any non-ASCII characters into
> entities if the target encoding is not ISO 8859-1.
>
> The problem is of course proper handling of diff files, but if they can
> be loaded using ISO 8859-1 encoding, all should be well.

I did not think about this before, it is certainly very painful;
the hack with copypage.pl only helps with initial translation.
For this reason, I now fully support Kubota-san initiative, English page
should only contain ASCII characters.
If we really want iso-8859-1 output, we could recode it when compiling.

> This problem would of course go away if we would switch to using UTF-8
> everywhere, but I guess that will never happen...

But Kubota-san did commit an utf-8 file, and you broke it ;)

Denis