Re: Personal names in Kanji

Gerfried Fuchs:

>  Sorry for my late response, but I'm just questioning what the advantage
> for the users might be?

To see the real name.

> Those reading the english pages usually don't know what to do with
> the names in kanji,

Not all, but some do. I can't read the Japanese or Chinese characters
myself, but I can read the Cyrillic and Greek alphabets (but not the
languages). Being able to have the name in the original language is
also more considerate to the person referenced, so that their name can
be written properly. You can compare that to allowing the German äöüß
in German names on English pages, many English-speakers might not be
able to understand them, but they are part of the real names.

Also, exposing more internationalization-ignorant people (that would be
USians, mostly) to other writing system is a good thing, methinks.

--
\\//
Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/