Re: New deb mother tongue?

Robin Rowe:

> What do you think I should infer from the above as the reason Portugese is
> displayed when it is not specified as a country or language in the browser?

You missed this part:

   Explanation: A server that receives a request for a document with a
   preferred language of 'en-GB, fr' will not serve the English ('en')
   version before the French version. It will only serve the English
   document before the French one if there is a version of the file
   with 'en-gb' for the language extension.

   Thus, you should configure your browser to send 'en-GB, en, fr' or
   simply 'en, fr'. It does work the other way though, e.g. a server
   can return 'en-us' when 'en' is requested.

> Why do you think a setting of en-us (only) should return Portugese?

Because en-us is not a supported language, which means that Apache
returns a more-or-less arbitrary version (I think it selects the
shortest one). It shouldn't happen for all files, though, since most of
them have a "default" version linked to the English, but for certain
unfortunate combinations of settings and pages, the effects are not
what would be expected.

> And, why should debian.org be the only site where this occurs?

It isn't.

> What we're talking about is a common default configuration for
> browsers, that is, en-us only.

Yeah. that default configuration is flawed. We have added workarounds
for it on several of our pages, but not all.

--
\\//
Peter - I do not read or respond to mail with HTML attachments.