Re: Open Graphics: Penguin pictures for your project (free as speech)

* Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> [2002-08-02 12:33]:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 04:34:19PM +0200, Alessandro Franceschi wrote:
>> The penguin portrayed can be seen as a young version of Tux, nice for
>> kids, its name is... well, it has no name... we named it Tix, just for
>> lazyness (and Tax/Tox/Tex were a bit too crap as names).
>
> 	The logos are pretty nice, but, however, I think that
> it should not be related to a Penguin in any way (since it's Linux
> mascot and not Debian's).

 Well, to make it a little more precise, that's not really the point.
Alessandro, Debian is not only a Linux distribution so we try to get
things not too closely related to Linux when possible.  There are huge
efforts going on to port Debian to the GNU Hurd[1] Kernel and also to
NetBSD[2].  That's one of the main reasons why we (as in the Debian
Project ;) don't like using Tux as part of graphics for representing
parts in Debian (if they aren't really Linux-centric, but I don't know
of anything special there).

 Take this just as update to lighten up the mist.  It should be nothing
but informal to get you an idea why using Tux isn't a good thing if you
like to do graphics for Debian.

 I am sorry that I am writing this offline and hadn't yet a chance to
take a look at the graphics you've done so far (beside those stunning
ones that are available on your site - but I mean the ones for
debian-med and debian-jr).

 Ah yes, is the one or the other person of your team in contact with
gimpforce.org?  There seem to be also some skilled artists, maybe a
cooperation or something like that could help both of your groups, don't
you think so?

 Keep up up your nice attitude,
Alfie
P.S.: Javier, was my last personal mail to you lost?  Got no answer.
      Shall I send again?

[1] <http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/>
[2] <http://www.debian.org/ports/netbsd/>, although [3] has started
                                                  recently, too.