Re: Debian jigdo mini-HOWTO

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 10:19:10PM +0800, Andrew Shugg wrote:
> > > There should be one, working link. I think we should just change the URL to
> > > use tldp.org, on whose availability we already depend for other pages.
> >
> > OK, changed. I preferred the dirac.org link because the HOWTO
> > translations are easily accessible, but if the site is down...
>
> Does the LDP not carry translations provided by the upstream source?
>
> And I do not see what is wrong with providing a backup link to a
> document.  I mean, on that very same page, links are provided to Jigdo
> files on a "USA mirror" and "European mirror".  Really, joy, I think
> that refutes your own argument: there are two links to Jigdo sources so
> that visitors can choose which source they wish to use, and have an
> alternative if their first choice is unavailable (server down, machine
> room on fire, ISP routing issues, etc).  Do you disagree on this?  If
> so, then there are dozens of mirrors of the Debian web site for what
> particular reason?  =)

Those mirrors exist because it's _often_ slow or impossible for users to
access the same site (www.d.o). (Well, that's one reason, the other reason
is plain old backwards compatibility or even inertia.) For this, we could
have one single site.

Another reason the patch was broken is because it didn't say "Here's the
Here's another <link> to the same thing.". Remember how users only spend
eight seconds per page, and you'll notice the world of difference there :)
The questions in the first paragraph of my message touched this topic, but
didn't elaborate much on it.

Note that I'm in general all for redundancy via mirrors. Bug #171297
illustrates this nicely. :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.