Re: PROBLEM GETTING ACCESS TO PACKAGE DEVELOPMENT TOOL LIST

----- Original Message -----
From: "STEN-CLANTON, ALBERT E" <ALBERT_E_STEN-CLANTON@fleet.com>
To: <debian-www@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 4:58 PM
Subject: PROBLEM GETTING ACCESS TO PACKAGE DEVELOPMENT TOOL LIST

> Greetings!
> I'm a blind person.  I presently use Windows 2000, with JAWS (produced by
> company called Freedom Scientific), as my "screen reader" to give me in
> speech output what's on the screen.  My love of Windows and the variable
> access to the programs that run under it is such that I intend to get a
> Linux box.  My present notion is to use Debian.

Excellent choice.

> I have had no trouble checking out your site until late last week.  From
> WWW.DEBIAN.ORG, I followed the Packages link, then the link for viewing
> stable packages.  When I tried then to follow the link for the development
> tools that come in what I presume to be the latest package, my speech
died.
> This happened four times, and I think only once was I able to avoid a cold
> reboot.  (The speech didn't just die there, but wiped out wholesale.)

[snip problems accessing http://packages.debian.org/stable/devel/  with
Jaws]

This page is 100% valid HTML 4.0 Transitional so I believe the problem with
this page is its size, it's over 150 kilobytes.
On my pc Jaws isn't responsive either when opening that URL, but after I
tried editing the page locally to make it (a lot) smaller, Jaws ran just
fine.  So my guess is that Jaws can't handle pages of this magnitude.

Maybe you could contact the technical support for Jaws and inform them on
this bug.