Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Gee, it's a pretty bad topic, but anyway...

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 03:58:51PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> There's a straight 2 click path to a directory with an ISO image on it
> on the gentoo site. For freebsd, it's 3 obvious clicks to a ftp site
> directory, then click on arch and version. For netbsd, 5 clicks to a
> mirror (one hidden far down a page). For debian, it's 4 clicks, _if_ you
> avoid the unofficial images, and the false path that leads only to them.
> And _if_ you happen to pick one of the small fraction of listed mirrors
> that really work.
>
> So no, in this case our web site is behind all but netbsd in structure,
> and behind netbsd in the sory state of our cdrom mirror network.

Finding ISOs is possible but a pain in the arse and it should be a lot
simpler.  jigdo is ok but quite often you just want the damn ISO image
and be done with it.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/                <csmall@enc.com.au>