Re: Checking whether CD mirrors are up to date

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 06:39:44PM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > > The topic may very well hold true, but here goes my question:
> > > I have browsed thru practically all of the links in:
> > > http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/
> > > And I am yet to find the iso images for 3.0
> > > It would be great if you could clarufy that for me or just plain call me
> > > stupid.
> >
> > The problem is that most of them does not have the 3.0 images, in
> > favour of the jigdo distribution method.
> >
> > I would suggest that the mirrors having 3.0 images will be flagged
> > as such in the mirror listing.
>
> That would indeed be very useful!
>
> ISTR Josip saying some months ago that somewhere, code already exists
> to automate checking for the CD image versions on mirrors. Is that the
> case? Would it be possible to build it into /CD/http-ftp/?

No, I'm afraid not -- the CD image mirrors don't have trace files, and are
in fact largely disorganized, so you need a whole array of heuristics to
reliably detect WTF is on the mirror :) I've never seen a script that
checked CD image mirrors, only debian/debian-non-US ones.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.