Re: Small correction to security pages

Hi,

Reply to a post to debian-www a long time ago.

* Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org> [2002-06-11 08:54:31]:
> * Morten Brix Pedersen <morten@wtf.dk> [2002-06-10 11:52]:
> > At http://www.debian.org/security/, the suggested security line to add
> > to sources.list points at 'potato'. Shouldn't this point at 'stable'
> > instead?
>
>  I don't think so.  It has different meanings.  If you would change it
> to stable instead of potato you'll be tracking woody once it's released
> and might end up with security updates from woody that might be
>
>  a) uninstallable for woody dependencies and you might have potato in
>     your other deb-lines
>
>  b) unnoticed system-upgrades when woody is released. This can lead to
>     different severe problems, like huge not expected downloads, or even
>     service breakage due to changed setup/syntax and such.

Funny, I just installed a woody system today, and when asked to get
security updates from security.debian.org, it added the lines as
*stable*.

Compared to your (fine) comments, thats quite ironic I'd say.

  - Morten.