Re: Scilab

On Thursday, 2002-06-13 at 04:05:30 PM (+0200), Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 06:22:50AM -0700, Larry Smith wrote:
> > In your math packages area, you list scilab as [non-free].  In fact,
> > I believe if you check their web page, it is free.
>
> If it's in the non-free section of Debian, the license of the software
> must be in conflict with the Debian Free Software Guidelines[1].

Yes it does conflict. The license can be found at

http://www-rocq.inria.fr/scilab/license.txt

In 4 c) we find:

   The INRIA and the ENPC authorize you free of charge to circulate and
   distribute for no charge, for non-commercial purposes the source
   and/or object code of DERIVED SOFTWARE ...

In 4 d):

   Any commercial use or circulation of the DERIVED SOFTWARE shall have
   been previously authorized by INRIA and ENPC.

That violates the DFSG
(http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines):

   6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

   The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program
   in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the
   program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic
   research.

That is the subtle difference between 'free' beer and 'free'dom. I would
prefer a really free license too. And I have added a Cc: to doctor
scilab.

Torsten

--
CPU zu verkaufen: AMD Duron 700 MHz