Re: Scilab

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 06:22:50AM -0700, Larry Smith wrote:
> In your math packages area, you list scilab as
> [non-free].  In fact, I believe if you check their web
> page, it is free.  I have it had use it, and it is
> freely available to download.
>
> Very nice package also.

If it's in the non-free section of Debian, the license of the software must
be in conflict with the Debian Free Software Guidelines[1].

Perhaps the software was "freed" in a version newer than one that is
currently packaged, I don't know -- if you can confirm that such a change
happened, the maintainer of the Debian package should update his package.
I'm Cc:ing him with this mail.

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.