Re: Portugueses translators

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 03:59:05PM +0100, peter karlsson wrote:
> Gustavo Noronha Silva:
>
> > well, both countries will understand any translation, but I *really* don't
> > like some translations people from Portugal do, I am sure they don't like
> > some of ours too,

So, as I suspected, the grammar is essentially identical but there has
been a divergence in vocabulary over the years. Somewhat like UK English
vs US English. French in France vs Quebec French is probably a better
comparison though.

> If not much differs, it would be possible to do something similar to what
> Chinese does, they generate the different language versions from the same
> sources, with slices for the words that differ.

In decreasing order of preference:
 - world peace (ok, at least a single translation, pt, for all Portuguese speakers)
 - a single translation that uses slices where a compromise just won't work.
     pt_br and pt_pt would be generated from a single source
 - two translations

One problem with a split of any kind is which version would get displayed
for users who request pt?

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org