Re: deb2changelog

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 02:56:02PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > I just wrote this small(100b) command to extract the changelog from a
> > .deb. This is fast, but not bugfree: it works only with packages which
> > one's Debian changelog is called changelog.Debian.gz. (The "*" should be
> > replaced with the package name, but not really needed, as that file name
> > is not widely used really.) You have to pump the .deb into the standard
> > input, and you'll probably have the changelog on the standard out.
> >
> > ar p /dev/stdin data.tar.gz | tar xzfO /dev/stdin ./usr/share/doc/*/changelog.Debian.gz | gzip -dc -
> >
> You have just recreated the first 1% of the solution. It doesn't handle:
>   changelog in /usr/doc (should send email notifying someone to file a bug)
>   changelog is a symlink to file in same package
>   changelog is a symlink to file in different package (is this allowed
>       under policy? It has never been clear to me)
> It's been a while since I looked at this so I may have missed something.

There's also the case when the /usr/share/doc/foo is a symlink to another
directory, which is legal when that other package is in foo's Depends:.

> Caching of files is important as serving changelogs really added to
> the load on master when we used to do things this way.
>
> Most importantly, we need permission to implement this on a machine
> that has a full copy of the archive. If we had permission, I probably
> would have implemented this ages ago. Last time I asked, I got nowhere.

It's likely that the new master will handle this with much less problems --
its performance has improved drastically for all resource-wasteful scripts I
tried :)

And I didn't actually ask anyone to allow lintian runs -- there was once
lintian lab on it, it can be back. I'm sure that if something goes wrong the
admins will shut it down, that is easy.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.