Re: deb2changelog

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 08:18:40PM +0200, Lenart Janos wrote:

> I just wrote this small(100b) command to extract the changelog from a
> .deb. This is fast, but not bugfree: it works only with packages which
> one's Debian changelog is called changelog.Debian.gz. (The "*" should be
> replaced with the package name, but not really needed, as that file name
> is not widely used really.) You have to pump the .deb into the standard
> input, and you'll probably have the changelog on the standard out.
>
> ar p /dev/stdin data.tar.gz | tar xzfO /dev/stdin ./usr/share/doc/*/changelog.Debian.gz | gzip -dc -

You have just recreated the first 1% of the solution. It doesn't handle:
  changelog in /usr/doc (should send email notifying someone to file a bug)
  changelog is a symlink to file in same package
  changelog is a symlink to file in different package (is this allowed
      under policy? It has never been clear to me)
It's been a while since I looked at this so I may have missed something.

Additionally, it is missing the following important items:
  error handling
  handling copyright files and Debian changelogs
  caching of files
Caching of files is important as serving changelogs really added to
the load on master when we used to do things this way.

Most importantly, we need permission to implement this on a machine
that has a full copy of the archive. If we had permission, I probably
would have implemented this ages ago. Last time I asked, I got nowhere.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org