Re: new front page, take 1

And here are my brain-storming ideas:

* Reinstate the link bar on the left, using the same "mini-page" layout[1],
  but as a tall box extending all the way.

* Keep the little boxes with shorter blurbs (those I like), but only have
  one column of them (takes care of the balancing problem), which re-flows
  properly to the browser width. Make them link to longer texts with "Read
  more".

* Remove the texts in the "News" and "Security alerts" boxes; instead make
  the "captions" into links to their corresponding pages.

* The last box is redundant; put the sitemap in the top navbar (where it
  belongs) alongside the search. These are two most important pages.

* Perhaps we should move the translation links somewhere else, perhaps
  somewhat like the EU does on their pages, where they mostly are in the
  top-right corner (which would bring them close to the mirrors, which I
  like).

--
\\//
peter - peter@softwolves.pp.se

[1] In reality I hate "mini-page layouts", but if that's what people want,
    well...