Re: RFC: web site reorganization

[oops, slipped by Jeff.  I wrote this before I read his post, so read
this with a grain of salt.  -- Grant ]

Intuitively, this approach seems better to me.  It keeps the types of
users in mind and provides them with the information they need.  That is
the basic function of a website in the overall scheme of things.  It's
more work trying to understand different kinds of users, but I feel it's
more appropriate and will help us.

* Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> [011214 11:17]:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 12:39:33PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > My idea of a main page is one that let's you quickly find a subpage that
> > will get you the information you want. With that in mind, the new front
> > page will have less information than it currently has.
> >
> > Links:
> >   About Debian
> >   News
> >   Getting Debian
> >   Developers' Corner
> >   International Pages
> >   Documentation/Support Pages
> >   Security
> >   Supported Architectures
> >   Supporting Debian
> >   Site Map
>
> Looks like you would have the main page provide links the most important
> other pages. I think this would be okay, but it's ignoring the types of
> users.
>
> I was thinking of a little bit different approach. I think the people who
> are visiting www.debian.org (and mirrors, of course :) can be divided into
> the following categories:
>
>   * random surfers (just cruisin', or interested in installing Linux -- to
>                     us there is little difference due to the nature of our
>                     distribution)

I don't fully comprehend your comment.  You mean because our website
doesn't support first-timers and needs a reorganization?  I'm only 1/2
kidding.

I think now with the increased use of cable modems (I just got mine,
it's so nice) there will be increased interest in Debian by
first-timers.  CDs aren't the only way to install now.  APT package
handling is one of the best technical features of Debian.

My point is, while Debian hasn't traditionally focused on more
experienced Linux users, don't discount random surfers.

>   * Linux users, merely heard about Debian

This is likely the most appropriate category of users to target.  See my
design goal comment below

>   * Linux users who want to install Debian
>   * Debian users

    * Debian downloaders, mirrors (ftp, web)

>   * Debian developers (and wannabees)

<web usage>

        OK, here's more work proposed but I am ready to help.  Has
        anyone looked at the /var/log/apache/access.log(s) for
        www.debian.org?  Are they available for anyone else to look at?

        We are redesigning a site.  What's one of the first things that
        we should keep in mind?  Current usage.  Path analysis.  Most
        common paths taken.  # of page views per page.

        How many international page views are there compared to english
        web page views?

        Then we get to the error.log.  What pages are most requested
        that are missing?  Should dummy or redirect pages be added?  Can
        we create a custom 404 error page?

</web usage>

<user groups>

        I like the set of user groups outlined above, but I don't know
        if they are accurate.  They seem right to me (I suggested one
        addition) but I have no way of knowing.  Are there other ways to
        find out?

        access.log?

        A survey?

        posting a notice to debian weekly news that we are discussing
        this and to invite participation -on this list-.

</user groups>

> Now, each of these needs attention, if we intend to keep them on the web
> pages. Also, we'd want to convert group 2 to group 3, and group 3 to group
> 4. :)

Yes, if this is a stated design goal we will have much more success in
achieving it!

> For each respective category, I think we need to provide the following:
>
>   * general information about Debian, quick and dirty
>   * extended general information about Debian
>   * information on getting Debian, and some information on using Debian
>   * everything about using Debian
>   * everything
>
> I think we should remove the blue box, and make four to five smallish boxes
> (paragraph groups) for each category of users.

I feel something like the present Blue box function (if not on the front
page) should be moved to the Site Map page where it could still provide
alot of value.  As I read your suggestion, I assume you are proposing
blue boxes, roughly one for each category of users.

Do you think we should keep the current red, white and blue navigation
bar?  Oops, getting off topic, that's for the next thread about design.

So your user groups are surfers, experienced Linux users, installers,
users and developers.

> The opening lines we have now
> can stay in the first one. The second one should have links to the stuff in
> intro/about (we should separate that one into a few pieces) and a few other
> things. The fourth should have links to the stuff that can be downloaded and
> the installation docs. The fifth is a bitch :) because it will have to be
> big. The sixth can basically be a pointer to the developers' corner.

The following comments are probably best saved for a separate thread.

You skipped number three but that's OK.  So box two is information About
Debian (organizational identity), four is for the installer group, five
is users and six is developers.

It seems kind of funny to have developers come last in the Debian
project home page, but that seems to me a recognition that users and the
time that developers spend as users is why we are all here.

> Thinking about design, we could probably apply the same theme we have in
> /devel/, or something along those lines.

This is a separate thread for a little later.  I will reserve further
comments until then.

> At the bottom, there should be a links to the site map and the search box,
> along with the rest of the footer stuff.
>
> > Where should the following go:
> >   awards page
> >   related links (about debian page? documentation page?)
> >   debian-jr project is currently in devel corner
>
> Miscellaneous? Dunno about debian-jr, though.

I just went through the Debian-jr info and related sites.  This is
a fantastic target audience and a great project for assisting the
development and ease of use for everyone.

Cheers,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow@svpal.org>