Re: RFC: web site reorganization

Very nice proposal James, thanks for putting this together.  I can see
some thought went into this.  This is a good, thorough "update" to what
we have presently with some realignment.  I like it.  I hope more
qualified volunteers step up to help out with this.

* James A. Treacy <treacy@debian.org> [011214 11:17]:
> There have been a few discussions over the past year about reorganizing the
> Debian web site. Additionally, a few recent problems with placement of items on
> the main page have pointed out that we really are in need of some changes.
>
> This mail is a RFC on a proposed flowchart. Note the word flowchart. It is not
> the purpose of this RFC to talk about the graphic design of the pages.
> Nevertheless, all of the pages should be able to use the existing framework with
> the exception of the main page, which may need to be redesigned.
> Once there is some agreement about the content of the main page, I will start a
> new thread for discussion of it's design.
>
> MAIN PAGE
> My idea of a main page is one that let's you quickly find a subpage that will
> get you the information you want. With that in mind, the new front page will
> have less information than it currently has.
>
> Links:
>   About Debian
>   News
>   Getting Debian

How about a Users' Corner?  This may include "Getting Debian"
"Documentation/Support" a second link to "Security", a link to
qa.debian.org if it's still not under the same hierarchy.

>   Developers' Corner
>   International Pages

Why is this separated since the translation links for each page are at
the bottom of each page?  Can't we move the International Pages link to
the bottom of each page?  I don't use the translations so I don't know
what would be easiest for those users.  I suspect that when users choose
their language from the bottom, having something that links to a
description of the International Pages near there would be more
beneficial when they need it.

>   Documentation/Support Pages

News could be combined with Documentation/Support.  Maybe call it Info
Corner?

>   Security
>   Supported Architectures
>   Supporting Debian

This could be under the "About Debian" or perhaps "Users' Corner".

>   Site Map
>
> Anything else on the main page? Justify your suggestion.

The awards icons along the bottom with a link to the Awards page would
be nice.  If we have awards, everyone needs to know.  There's a stigma
that Debian is hard to use, the awards help to counteract this through
peer validation of the distribution.

> ABOUT DEBIAN PAGE (intro/)
>   introduction
>   history
>   links to discussion of free software
>   social contract
>   contact information

Debian FAQ (/doc/FAQ/)

> This needs to be fleshed out in more detail (including what goes on sub pages).
> Suggestions welcome.
> Should the partners and donation info here too?

I think this fits.  These have to do with relationahips between the
identity of the Debian organization and other organizations/donors.  It
may encourage more awards and drive traffic for the awarding sites.  The
present awards seem mainly from 2000, but I still think they should go
on the front page for awhile.  Hopefully we can rotate these through as
more awards are won!

> NEWS PAGE (/News/)
>   news
>   weekly news
>   events
>
> GETTING DEBIAN PAGE (/distrib/)
>   installation instructions
>   package pages
>   CD vendors
>   ftp mirrors
>   pre-installed
> Should we make a new directory for this information? Some people don't
> like distrib/ but is it worth breaking links?

I think the content of the pages is more important, and it's best to try
not to break links if possible.

A custom 404 error page would be really helpful, perhaps with some links
to upward path items, the site map page, the front page.

> DEVELOPERS' CORNER (/devel/)
> The current developers' pages - they are pretty good
>
> INTERNATIONAL PAGES (/international/)
> Are users of languages other than English happy with the existing page?

Good question.

> SUPPORT (/support)
> Should this be called 'Getting Help'?
>   Mailing lists (also linked from main page?)
>   Reaching Package Maintainers
>   The Bug Tracking System (also linked from main page?)
>   Consultants
>   On-line Real Time Help Using IRC
>
> DOCUMENTATION (/doc/)
> Is documentation an ok name?
>
> There is a lot of documentation. Way too much for a single page. Thus, I'm
> proposing this page simply give links to other pages that provide documentation
> on specific topics (the current sitemap has the right idea):

/usr/share/doc/ description, dwww

How to use man & info pages.  Sounds redundant to remind people, but
this could be a checklist for everyone to point to and say Read The Fine
Manual.

>   Installation Instructions (/releases)
>      (can't hurt to be linked from every place a luser goes)
>   User Manuals (/doc/user-manuals)
>   Administrator Manuals (/doc/admin-manuals)
>   Books on Debian (doc/books)

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/

Package name is newbiedoc.  I think this is a Debian focused effort too.

>   General Linux Docs and HOWTOs (/doc/linux-docs) [new page]

Great, this recognizes the other efforts that users rely on to learn and
Debian's place in relation to other helpful projects.  Links like the
DDP http://linuxdoc.org/ are excellent sources of info.

>   Debian FAQ (/doc/FAQ/)
>   Developer Manuals (/doc/devel-manuals)
>   DDP (/doc/ddp)
>
> SECURITY (/security/)
>   current security page
>   link to securing debian howto should be added
>
> SUPPORTED ARCHITECTURES (/ports/)
> Suggestions for improving existing page?
> Suggestions for a different name?

I like the Platforms suggestions.  It implies more software/kernel/OS
level infrastructure.

> A template should be created for the sub pages so that every one will contain
> the following:
>   link to installation pages
>   link to special notes on installing on that arch
>   information on relevant mailing lists
>   status information (if not an official release)
>   list of machines supported (subpage if it's long)
>   relevant links
> Of course, they may add other information.

This would be very nice.

> SUPPORTING DEBIAN PAGE (/support/)
>   where to buy Debian merchandise
>   logo images
>   banner images
>   mirroring debian
>   link to developers' corner
>
> SITE MAP PAGE (/sitemap)
>   link to existing site map
>
> SEARCH
>   link to search.d.o
>

> Where should the following go:
>   awards page

I think the page would be well placed in the "About" section, and I
already talked about the award logos on the front page.  Again this has
to do with recognition and validation of the Debian identity as a whole.

>   related links (about debian page? documentation page?)

I think these should be distributed to the bottom of the different
sub-section pages "in context" rather than collected.

>   debian-jr project is currently in devel corner
>
> Any links missing?

Again, great job!

--
-- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow@svpal.org>