Re: Romanian navbars

Hello Ionel,

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 02:27:27AM +0200, Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcã wrote:
> I noticed that the navbars changed.
>
> I do not mind for this changes, but news.ro.gif and distrib.ro.gif
> are wrong. The Capital "S" from Stiri (News) should have a comma
> under it, like in U0218 unicode character (S comma below)
> and the second "t" from Distributie (Distribution) should
> have as well a comma under it, like in U021B unicode character
> (t comma below).

Oops, sorry about that!  :-)

> I am 100% sure that "14-pixel anti-aliased Monotype Arial font"
> has no clue about this comma under accent. Just make sure you
> don't put a cedilla, by mistake. A regular comma, maybe smaller
> should do the trick.

Actually, the Monotype Arial font does include iso-8859-2 in full.
Those so-called Microsoft Web Core fonts include support for iso-8859-*,
just about covering all European languages.  :-)  The problem was in
pics.conf, because the ASCII "S" and "t" were used instead of
"S," and "t,".  But indeed, I should have looked more carefully before
submitting all the *.ro.gif files.  :-)

> Those commas I added myself some time ago using xpaint. But the
> letters were clear. Now there are not, so I can't do it the same
> way.

I just fixed it and "cvs commit" it, so it may take a few hours for the
fixed news.ro.gif and distrib.ro.gif to show up.  Mind you, these fonts are
so small _and_ anti-aliased, that it is really hard to tell.  It looks
more like a "short line below" rather than a comma or cedilla.  If this is
not acceptable, please let me know, and I'll do some editing.

Hmm... Ah, oh, I see what you mean!  iso-8859-2 uses S-cedilla, not S-comma!
S-cedilla is used in Turkish, not in Romanian.
Same with "t", but since nobody uses "t-cedilla", the Arial font renders it
as a t-comma.  But yeah, it looks kind of smudgy because of the way GIMP
does anti-aliasing.  No problem, I'll just edit it in gimp and drew in a
small comma like this, just like how Arial does it (thanks to good font
hinting which properly renders the comma at low resolution):

	##
	 #
	#

There!  Let me commit that.  :-)

> I downloaded the latest RO navbars and distrib.ro.gif is not a valid
> gif file. Check this out:

It works here:

	$ file *.gif
	about.ro.gif:   GIF image data, version 89a, 114 x 18
	devel.ro.gif:   GIF image data, version 89a, 95 x 18
	distrib.ro.gif: GIF image data, version 89a, 86 x 18
	news.ro.gif:    GIF image data, version 89a, 45 x 18
	search.ro.gif:  GIF image data, version 89a, 57 x 18
	sitemap.ro.gif: GIF image data, version 89a, 76 x 18
	support.ro.gif: GIF image data, version 89a, 63 x 18

That is both before and after fixing distrib.ro.gif and news.ro.gif.  :-)

Anyhow, thanks for the lesson on Romanian.  I knew nothing about
"S," and "t," until now.  Hey, no wonder!  *You* wrote this page?

	http://httpd.chello.nl/i.ciobica/page.html

:-)  (Yes, I decided to search for "cedilla romanian comma" to investigate
when I noticed that only S-cedilla is in iso-8859-2.  :-)  Your page
gives the best explanation!  Cool stuff!

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada