Re: request

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 08:00:40PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

> >   Please, either erase my messages from your archives or implement
> >   some other solution to the problem I am rising.

Debian archives and/or allows third parties to archive all of its lists.
Almost every list has been archived since its creation and this fact is no
secret. If Debian started making exceptions after the fact to its archiving
policy, it would add a lot of overhead to list operations. Screening stuff
out of the archive might also expose Debian to potential liability and
eliminate common carrier defenses if someone posts something legally
objectionable to one of Debian's lists.

When you post to an electronic public forum, you've given implicit
permission for archiving, caching, and all of the copying and transmission
that is implied by these operations. All this is to facilitate the creation
and preservation of an electronic historical record. I don't think it's
appropriate for Debian to erase or rewrite history for your benefit.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com