Re: Should searching find sub-words by default?

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 07:48:01PM +0200, peter karlsson wrote:
> James A. Treacy:
>
> > Do you feel this is the proper default or should sub-words be
> > matched? Note that if the default is switched, exact word
> > matching can be enabled by adding a '$' to the end of a word.
>
> If it is implemented, IMHO it should not be default, and if it is
> checked, it should also search for the sub-word inside words, not only
> in the beginning (which is useful for languages like Swedish or German,
> which use a lot of compound words).

If most of the users had clue, I would agree that subword searching
should not be the default. As it stands, we've had more mail in the
short time that it was not the default for package name searches than
in the previous three months.

While I wish that subword searches were on any substring, only
matching beginning strings works well in swish. Package info is
still english only so your last point isn't a concern yet.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org