Should searching find sub-words by default?

I'm looking for opinions here. Feel free to rationalize your response
if so desired.

Currently, the package searching in distrib/packages does not match
sub-words by default. For example, "diction" will not match
"dictionary". Appending an asterisk to a word will enable sub-word
searching. There is a short explanation below the search
mentioning the use of '*', but from the mail we've been receiving
many people do not read it.

Do you feel this is the proper default or should sub-words be
matched? Note that if the default is switched, exact word
matching can be enabled by adding a '$' to the end of a word.

Alternatively, users could be given the choice using a checkbox.
In this case, users could still enable subword searches on
individual words by appending them with an asterisk.

I'm currently leaning towards the third solution, but would like
to hear some other opinions before implementing it.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org