Re: /devel/debian-jr/ problems with l10n

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 05:15:55PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:

> it has come to my attention that:
>
>  1. $(ENGLISHDIR)/devel/debian-jr/packaged.data
>     $(ENGLISHDIR)/devel/debian-jr/packaged-non-free.data
>     are included and don't use slices
>
>  2. If I just copy these files into the german/ directory I cannot
>     simply add the translation-check header, I guess.
>
> James Treacy added:
>
>   Generally, .data files have been used to seperate data from
>   text. Data is generally independent of translation and can be
>   updated without bothering translators

Just to qualify this, there are some included files that contain
translated text. This has only been done where frequent updates are
likely (but not of the translated material) and this would save
translators work. A good example is the vendors page where new vendors
are added constantly. The vendor specific data is in a single file,
which all the translations share. Due to dependencies in the Makefiles
when a new vendor is added all the translations get updated.

> This is not the case here.
>
> I can think about two solutions:
>
>  a) the .data files get incorporated into the .wml file, where they
>     belong and will be under the "control" of translation-check as
>     well.
>
>  b) Data inside of .data files are going to be modified for i18n
>     efforts.  I'm not sure how to do that, not sure if slices would
>     work out of the box, since I have only seen them in connection
>     with <define-tag>

Since the list of packages will change with time (primarily additions)
it may be appropriate to use something similar to what we do for
News items. Each news item is in its own file and can be translated
or not by a translation. When grabbing titles of news items, the
translation is used unless there is no translation, in which case the
english version is used. This is not a perfect example, but you
should get the idea.

Yes, this would involve reorganizing the relevant page in debian-jr,
but it will make the job of translation much easier.
devel/debian-jr/packaged is getting rather large anyway (already 650
lines).

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org