Re: Note in the news regarding Fabrizzio's and CRM's death

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 02:21:58PM +0200, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:
> > > 	I have just updated the CVS intending to translate the note
> > > regarding Fabrizzio's and CRM's death (sad news....)  I have not seen any,
> > > however, but Martin Schulze sent today a note to debian-private.
> >
> > Exactly why did you break the privacy of -private by saying this on -www?
> > I agree it would have become non-private soon, but there's a principle here
> > that we have to adhere to.
>
> 	IMHO I was not breaking the privay of -private, I have not posted
> any mail sent to that list, and the information I refered to has already
> been published and discussed in public IRC.

IMO mailing lists are a bit different than IRC... but never mind now.

> > > 	If nobody has time (or no answers come before tomorrow) I will post
> > > Martin's note on the News page and translate it to spanish.
> >
> > In general, we first post things to debian-(news|announce) mailing lists and
> > then make web pages based on those posts.
>
> 	I agree.. I just did not know if there was anybody available to take
> the post from debian-announce and add it to the Web.

That's a valid concern... <sigh> Right now I'm the one doing that stuff.

> > > 	There was also talk of changing the menu's background to black for
> > > about one week... how can this changes be made?
> >
> > It'll take a small intervention in the sources and a bit larger one in the
> > images.
>
> 	Ok. Will wait for your changes then.

Actually, we need a consensus whether it is appropriate to darken all of the
pages because of these unfortunate events... someone raised that point on
-private already IIRC -- the users might not want to know about this and we
have no need to "push" it onto them too much.

Personally, I'm not sure. We didn't darken the pages when Espy died, FWIW.

> 	It is just that sometimes the WWW lags behind the real world
> happenings, for example, there are no notices on vote.debian.org regarding
> the recent leader election (or the vote for that matter).

That's because the vote pages seem to be a sensitive subject, and we (the
general crowd of web editors) tend not to touch it, since gecko as the
project secretary used to do it. But heck, I had to update the at one point,
and it seems I'll just have to do it again. <grumble>

> 	I might have overstepped here. My position as translator is more
> like a "wait for others to do it before you do" but I (sometimes) am to
> eager to do the translation because I feel it is important for the
> involvement of the community and the people in the proyect.

That's okay :)