Re: Problem in the CVSweb script

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 07:47:34PM +0200, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:

> 	There seems to be a problem with cvs.debian.org, specifically with
> the cvsweb script. If I try to get any sources., for example:
> http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/english/Bugs/Access.wml?rev=1.6&cvsroot=webwml

For those not in the know, this is a known problem and has been discussed
on debian-admin.

> 	My idea is that the www-data daemon does not have permissions to
> read/write in the cvs directory.
> 	It maybe strange, but even if you're only reading you need r/w
> access to the repository. This could be fixed in two ways:
>
> 	- (simplest but not best) give the www daemon r/w access to the cvs

Not best because of security concerns.

> 	- (most complicated but best) make cvsweb.conf use a pserver
> 	access (as anonymous no r/w access is needed IIRC).

The problem is that no one has taken responsibility for seeing this through.
Until someone volunteers to do so, we will continue in this state of limbo.

BTW, I don't believe anyone has approached upstream about this problem. Perhaps
they can suggest or implement a solution for us.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org