Re: klecker.debian.org

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 11:27:29AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 05:22:11PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > > Another thing that we could improve is the serving of
> > > /usr/doc/*/{changelog.Debian.gz,changelog.gz,copyright}
> >
> > Well, depending on demand we can just pull them out of their .debs on
> > request backed by a little db2 cache, that would be quite easy to code.
>
> I believe Jay already tried this, but it didn't last long because of the
> resource consumption (AFAIR).

It is as efficient as can be expected(*), but I wouldn't use it without
having a cache or someone could do nasty things by repeatedly retrieving
changelogs.

(*)Retrieving the files from .debs is a pain/inefficient due to the following issues:
 - grabbing files from a .deb involves ar and at least one tar (usually two).
 - /usr/doc/ vs /usr/share/doc
 - /usr/share/doc/<package> can be a symlink to a dir in another package
 - /usr/share/doc/<package>/changelog can be a symlink to a file in another package
 - some other issues I don't remember

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org