Re: lots of unneeded  s in our templates' define-tags

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Josip Rodin wrote:

> Why do we need so many non-breaking-spaces in the tags? There's not much
> point in e.g. defining MENUWIDTH to have a fixed width for the right column
> of the front page, then. IMHO they just make the templates harder to read.
>
> They don't have any effect on `whitespace=delete' option of <define-tag>,
> although it would seem logical they would... mp4h doesn't delete single
> spaces with that option.

Hello Josip,

We need the &nbsp; in the menu template so that the menu entries won't
wrap.  It has nothing to do with WML or mp4h's <define-tag> and
whitespace=delete.

> May I replace &nbps;s with plain spaces?

No, unless there are really some &nbsp; that are unneeded.  But, AFAIK,
all the &nbsp; are there for a reason, as I'm sure many of us share your
opinion that &nbsp; tags make the template source harder to read.

While there is the deprecated "nowrap" attribute in HTML 4.01, and a
equivalent stylesheet tag, the use of &nbsp; is the most universal,
guaranteeing that the text would be render correctly on all browsers.

You mentioned MENUWIDTH... that may not do what you think it would do,
when you consider that many browsers allow the users to change the default
font size.  The menu width stays the same, however, so with a large font,
the text in the menu is going to wrap, and it would look ugly.

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada