Re: Any reason not to use PNG images in packaged HTML manuals?

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 03:37:54PM +0100, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
> > The corners of the buttons in the navigation bar are transparent;
> > although I guess we could just make that part match the background
> > color and make the images PNGs.
>
> Hmm, converting them is slightly more complicated than I thought it
> would be, then. I already converted the GIFs (using imagemagick) but
> I hadn´t noticed that it simply removed the transparency -- the
> navigation bar images are now rectangles :-/

A Gimp-Perl script is used for generating all those images, don't bother
doing it manually.

I tried changing the filenames in makebuttons.sh to .png, but this gave the
following errors for each image:

Subroutine gimp_ellipse_select redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux/Gimp.pm line 543.
debbar.pl: not enough arguments for function 'file_png_save' at /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux/Gimp/Fu.pm line 868 (DIE)
gimp: debbar.pl: not enough arguments for function 'file_png_save' at /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux/Gimp/Fu.pm line 868 (DIE)

> > The other used GIF, indicating compliance with HTML 4.0, doesn't use
> > transparency.
>
> http://validator.w3.org/images/vh40 is now a PNG; linking to it would
> possibly solve that issue.

Oh, good.