Re: https / SSL question

Andrew Kae wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm hoping someone has had experience w/ HTTPS / SSL.  There seems to be
> very little documentation on HTTPS.  I just have a few questions:
>
> 1)  Are all socket connections in HTTPS (specifically version 1.1) done
> through SSL?

Yes (technically, the protocol now specified is TLS, the successor to SSL).

> 2)  In HTTP 1.1 (not 1.0) you can send multiple GETs through the same socket
> connection.  Can you do the same in HTTPS (1.1)?

Naturally. HTTP is transparent through the SSL connection (see
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2818.txt). Whether or not multiple requests can be made
depends on the server and client supporting this through the 'Connection' header.

> 3)  Does anyone know which versions of browsers HTTPS is compatible with
> such as IE or Netscape?

Hmmm, hard to say. I think both have support https for quite a while.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jens.jorgensen@cmgisolutions.com