Re: Default Roxen webpage drives Debian webmasters nutty

    James> On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 10:33:33AM +0200, Turbo Fredriksson
    James> wrote:
    >> Sorry, I just got this... (bug 61415)
    >>
    >> And I don't get it! I can not (and neither should you) take
    >> responsibility for peoples inapnes to read!
    >>
    >> ----- s n i p -----
    >> Welcome to Your New Home Page!
    >> This is a placeholder page installed by the Debian GNU/Linux
    >> release of the Roxen Web server package, because no home page
    >> was installed on this host. You may want to replace this as
    >> soon as possible with your own web pages, of course....
    >> ----- s n i p -----
    >>
    James> One problem with the above, is that it is written for the
    James> admin, not a user who stumbles across the page.

Point taken...

    James> How about the following: <p>This is the default web page

Oki, changed to this, should be nice enough (?)...

----- s n i p -----

<h1>Welcome to Your New Home Page!</h1>

<!-- Most of the text is stolen from the Apache package -->

  It is the responsibility of the administrator of the machine to replace it with
  a local page.

  should report it to the administrator of the machine.</strong> Please note that
  this machine is not affiliated with Debian. Debian is software installed on the
  machine. Do not report problems with this site to Debian.

  See our <a href="http://www.debian.org/";> web page</a> for more information.
  Information about the Roxen web server can be found on
  For information and downloading The Debian package of Roxen please take a look at the

Unless you changed its configuration, the server is configured as follows:<p>

<ul>
<li> Configuration files can be found in /etc/roxen .
<li> The DocumentRoot, which is the directory under which all your HTML files should exist, is set to /var/www.
<li> CGI scripts are looked for in /usr/lib/cgi-bin, which is where Debian packages will place their scripts.
<li> Log files are placed in /var/log/roxen, and will be rotated daily.
<li> The default directory index is index.html, meaning that requests for a directory /foo/bar/ will give the contents of
       the file /var/www/foo/bar/index.html if it exists (assuming that /var/www is your DocumentRoot).
<li> User directories are enabled, and user documents will be looked for in the public_html directory of the users' homes.
</ul>

    James> I like the plug for Debian. Note that the www.roxen.com
    James> doesn't resolve.  Someone forget to pay the bill for their
    James> domain?

It does now, so either they payed up, or you had a problem :)

PLO FSF Waco, Texas Qaddafi security NORAD Honduras Soviet
assassination Ortega Clinton KGB colonel arrangements genetic