Re: devel/index

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 09:20:44AM +0100, peter karlsson wrote:
> >From a recent version of devel/index.wml:
>
> > Note to translators. These pages will sometimes be updated for upcoming
> > events. If you do not intend to keep the pages in the devel directory up
> > to date (that means translating changes withing a few days), you should
> > probably not be translating them.
>
> Why not just put up a separate "developer events" page, or do something
> similar to the news articles/security stuff?

There are two issues here. First, not everything needs to be translated.
Since the majority of development work is done in English, I feel time
spent on translating that part of the web site could be better spent
translating other things, e.g. documentation, boot disks, GNU utils, gnome,
etc. That's just my opinion though.

Secondly, some of the translations aren't very good at keeping pages
up to date. There was a proposal a while ago on one way to deal with
this. I'd like to see the translation teams take a realistic view of
how much they can easily keep up to date, and only translate that
much.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org