Re: document matrix generation in releases/slink/

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 12:59:02PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> <: # used to join "Install Manual _for_ i386", for instance
>    $indirect_object_conjoiner = 'for'; :>

Please please please please, oh please DO NOT do this!

NEVER EVER make translators translate single words.  This does NOT work.

You should never assume that different languages have similar sentence
construction rules.  For example,  Finnish does not have a word-for-word
translation for the word "for".  Its meaning is shown in the forms of
the surrounding words.  Yes, I *can* translate that variable, but the
resulting Finnish is far from idiomatic then.  Other languages may have
more severe problems.

(This is BTW what I tried to say in the boot-floppies bug, too.)

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)