Re: upstream concerns

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 08:25:16AM -0700, Darren O. Benham wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 02:51:54PM +0200, Francesco Tapparo wrote:
> > I'm maintaining scwm; Greg Badros, an upstream author, contacted me about
> > the page http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/lscwm.html. This page is a bit
> > misleading:
> >
> > "Maintainer for scwm is Francesco Tapparo <cesco@debian.org>. "
> >
> > He would like better something as:
> > "Scwm is written by Greg J. Badros and Maciej Stachowiak.
> >  Scwm's home web site is:  scwm.mit.edu.
> >  The maintainer for the Debian scwm package is Francesco Tapparo..."
> >
> > and links to the upstream scwm page.
> >
> > I agree with Greg. So I think would be very useful if the script generating
> > the pages would be updated to properly use an "Upstream Maintainer/s" and an
> > "Upstream Web Page" fields in the packages.
> > Is this feasible or it's hard? I'm not sure I've the needed skillful for
> > the job (I do'nt master html), but I can try.
>
> There is no Upstream anything in packages.. atleast not normally.  There
> has been talk about adding those tag lines but nothing has ever been
> settled.

I was not very clear: my proposal was to recognize these fields, their use
would be optional, and not the default choice: they would be used only if the
upstream maintainer ask to the package maintainer to have its name in our d
escription pages. I suspect a lot of upstream maintainer does not want that
(if we put their name in the BTS page, for example, they are going to receive
a lot of debian specific questions).

> The other thought.. the bug pages were not designed for giving out that
> sort of information.  If a person wants to know, they can (and should) go
> to the copyright file in /usr/doc.. that's what the file is for.  It might
> be possible to make a small change: say "Debian Maintainer for..." instead.

Yes, but a lot of people does not read the /usr/doc/* files. They surf the
web and they find the description pages.

Thanks I did'nt realize that, I'll mail to owner@bugs.debian.org.

--
Francesco Tapparo				 |	cesco@debian.org
fight for your software freedoms: www.fsf.org    |      tapparo@mat.unimi.it